Sunday, May 4, 2008

Chapter 46 -Part 2

Chapter 46
Part 2

“Sorry I’m late,” Becky said as she slipped into the chair across from Chuck. They had chosen a cute little café not far from school. “But what is a girl without her girlfriends?”
“A loser,” Chuck answered simply, stirring what seemed to be a glass of scotch.
Becky laughed. “Where the hell did you get that?”
“Around,” Chuck said mysteriously, looking up into her eyes.
“You know, you shouldn’t be drinking in the morning. It’s not very healthy.”
“Says the girl that got wasted right before her English Lit final exam at 8 in the morning.”
“Touché.” Becky ordered a latte, and raised her eyebrows at Chuck. “So, what’s new? What’s happened in these last 3 years I had to bear life without my Chucklekins?”
“Not much. And you know how much I hate being called that.” Chuck looked at her darkly.
“PMS much?” Becky said, raising her hands in the air. “But anyway, I hear a lot has happened. I heard you and Blair are an item.”
“Yes, she likes to show me off. The one girl that could finally get me grounded.”
Becky leaned across the table, her arms folded in front of her. “Oh, I’m sure she’s not the only girl,” she said in a lowered voice.
Chuck looked up at her and let out a tiny sigh. He took a sip of his drink without a word.
“Well, anyways, how’s that going for you?” Becky picked up her latte, which had just arrived, and spooned some of the whipped cream into her mouth with the wooden stir stick.
“Surprisingly well,” Chuck answered. “I mean, I was a real mess without her, I hate to admit. At least, I was all over the place. Never a real girlfriend, just tons and tons of flings.” C took another careless sip of his scotch.
“You know, everybody’s a big drinker these days,” Becky said thoughtfully, watching as Chuck set his glass down on the table.
“That’s because when you left, you stopped stealing all our drinks, so we had a chance to try it.”
Becky shrugged.
“But, how are you doing? How did you spend the last three years?”
“Oh, you know, the usual. Just living the Hollywood life. Photo shoot on Monday, drinks with Zac Efron on Tuesday, walk the red carpet on Wednesday, party with Ashlee on Thursday, win some award on Friday. Nothing special.” Becky smiled playfully.
“I’ll bet.” Chuck gave her a half-smile. “But seriously.”
“Seriously? Well, lots of photo shoots, that’s true. A few hit karaoke performances, if I do say so myself. Just, picking up tidbits of fame here and there. Nothing big.” She paused when the waitress walked by. “Hi, yeah, a chocolate chip muffin, please? I’m on an all-calories diet. Too many eating disorders over on the West End, huh?” She winked at the waitress, who looked slightly uncomfortable. She nodded slowly, and then walked off. Chuck laughed a little.
“Well, any personal life stories that are interesting enough to tell?”
“Hmm, not really. I did sleep with the entire cast of Frat Boyz, though. Some cheesy Broadway show, but man, those guys were hot. And then you come back to NYC and realize what complete stunnas you left behind.” Becky grinned.
“Yeah, I’m not a big fan of the New York guys, either. That’s why I just stuck to the exotic dancers.”
“Strippers.”
“What?”
“Just say ‘strippers’, Chuck, god. No need to be politically correct.”
“I don’t think exotic dancers counts as—”
“Oh, shut up, Bass! What happened to you? You used to be fun!”
“Yes. And then I started dating Blair.”
Becky laughed. “There we go. Bash the girlfriend.”
“Oh, like you and her are friends anyway.” Chuck rolled his eyes.
“We are! She’s just, very, Blair.”
“I know what you mean,” Chuck sighed. He took a swig of his drink.
“Well, anyway, I better head off. I have to meet with the Constance advisors or something.” Becky stood up and picked up her bag.
“Hey, wanna do something tonight? Drinks, maybe? We could get the whole gang to come along.” Chuck raised his eyebrows at her hopefully.
Becky smiled. “Sure,” she said. She began to walk away, but then paused and turned back.
“One more thing, though.”
Chuck looked at her. “What?”
Becky grinned mischievously. “How do you feel about stealing Nate’s girlfriend?”
“Pretty good. Blair’s got one hot ***.”
Becky laughed. “Wow. Didn’t even have to think about that one.”
“Some might say I have no shame.”
“No one on the Upper East Side does, honey. It’s how it works. You’re just a lot more open about it.”
“You know, for a girl who’s spent the last 3 years on the other side of the country, you sure do seem to know your UES,” Chuck said, sounding slightly impressed.
“Well, I am the reigning queen.” Becky gave him her Hollywood smile.
“Blair might have something to say about that.”
“Screw Blair!” Becky reached for Chuck’s glass and downed the rest of the scotch. “I’m going all the way to the top, baby!”
Becky blew a little kiss in Chuck’s direction as she walked through the door. “Good luck,” C mumbled to himself, shaking his head and laughing.

No comments: