Sunday, May 4, 2008

Chapter 58

Chapter 58

After hours of sitting among normal class people high in the air with no escape, Chuck was happy to get off the plane and into the limo awaiting him outside.
The hot, humid air hit him like a brick as he stepped out into the still-sunny early evening. The limo driver picked up his bag, and Chuck glanced around. Towering, lush palm trees lined the street, creating a canopy above him. Bushes and shrubs overflowing with multicoloured flowers competed for his attention. And the clear blue sky, completely cloudless, surrounded the rainforesty paradise, enveloping in the thick air.
Inside the limousine, Chuck turned the air conditioning on high. As they drove their way to West Palm Beach, he gazed out at the scenery. Far off, Chuck could spot the glittering blue of the ocean. Nearer to him were mini forests of palm trees. All the colours and textures of nature were relaxing, compared to Manhattan’s bustling streets and high-rise apartment complexes.
When the chauffer finally pulled the limo up in front of what looked like a sea-side resort, he opened the door, and Chuck stepped out. Many tall, cream-coloured buildings surrounded them, with beautiful, Spanish-style columns and arches. Large balconies clung to the sides of the buildings, facing the ocean.
On the beach in front of the main building, people were scattered with umbrellas and picnic blankets and huge coolers. Children splashed around in the shallow tides and built sand sculptures at the shore. Parents and teenagers sunbathed on towels while some older people lounged on chairs, soaking up the Florida sun.
“Mr. Bass?”
Chuck turned towards his chauffer, and picked up his bag. “Do you require any further assistance?” the man asked.
“No, it’s okay,” Chuck replied, rolling the suitcase up towards the main building entrance. The limo driver went back around to the vehicle, got inside, and drove off from the curb. Chuck walked up to the front desk where a woman in a paisley suit was sitting, looking rather stiff and uptight.
“What can I do for you, sir?” she asked in a bored tone.
“Uh, yes, can you tell me where Blair Waldorf is staying?”
The woman typed rapidly on her keyboard, and then glanced at the computer screen. “Sunrise Building, villa number 206.”
“Thank you.” Chuck turned around and walked briskly out of the lobby. Outside, a golf cart was pulled up. The staff member driving it tossed Chuck’s suitcase in the back, and told him to hop in.
Chuck took a seat in front next to the driver, and they sped off down the shoreline.

The doorbell to Blair’s villa rung, and Blair unwillingly got up to answer it. She pushed herself up from her armchair, and slipped through the balcony doors and across the living room.
Without checking to see who it was through the peephole, Blair opened the door. She opened her mouth in surprise, and couldn’t breathe for a long moment.
Chuck smiled shyly at her. “Hey,” he said quietly.
Behind her, Chuck could see the amazingly gorgeous suite. It was like a hotel room, only beautified a hundred times over. Suede couches and glass coffee tables made up the living room, while the small kitchen had maple cabinets and granite countertops. On a platform with a few steps next to a huge bay window and the entrance to the balcony was a four-poster, king-size bed, with cream and lavender-coloured sheets. Large, frilly pillows and a swooping canopy adorned it with elegance.
But amidst the most beautiful room Chuck had ever seen, the only thing that interested him was the most beautiful girl, standing inside.
Blair’s eyes were soft and Bambi-esque as she looked at him. Her shiny brown curls were loose as they framed her face, and she was wearing a light pink sundress, which matched the polished toenails on her bare feet.
Chuck gazed back at her with an equally soft expression. “I didn’t want to tell you because I didn’t want you to be mad at me,” he said finally, his voice neither husky nor seductive. “And I didn’t tell you because I hated the fact that it happened. There’s nothing I regret more.”
Still, Blair said nothing. She just stood there, looking at him.
“Actually, that’s not true. The thing I regret the most is not being able to apologize and tell you how much I love you the minute Becky told you. I regret not letting you understand how much I loathe her, and what she did to you. I regret having to stand here and spill my heart out, all because I kept that secret from you.”
Blair’s eyes were glossy with tears. “You… you came. To Florida. For me.” Her voice was soft and broken.
“Well, of course. There was already one time when I didn’t go after you when I should have, and I couldn’t do that again.”
Blair looked down at her feet as a tear rolled slowly down her cheek. She quickly wiped it away. “You didn’t have to come all the way here,” she said.
Chuck reached out and touched her cheek. She looked up at him. “Yes, I did. I knew you wouldn’t listen to me when I said I loved you. So I’m showing you.”
“I don’t…” Blair’s gaze didn’t move from his. “I’m not mad.”
Chuck looked at her dubiously. “It’s okay if you are. I deserve it.”
Blair let out an embarrassed laugh, and looked down. “I’m not. I just…” She looked up, blinking back tears. “Becky made me run. And I shouldn’t have given her the satisfaction. But I’m weak. And I was scared. I didn’t want to lose you.”
“You’re not weak,” Chuck said softly. “You’re the strongest person I’ve ever met. You take crap from people when you shouldn’t, but you know how to hold your head up when things get tough. And when you realize people deserve your revenge, you give it to them.” Chuck smiled, and kissed B’s forehead. “And trust me. You couldn’t lose me if you tried.”
Blair smiled back. She looked up at him with her shining brown eyes, and Chuck took her by the waist and pulled her into him. Resting her head on his chest, Blair tugged lightly on his bow tie, like she had long ago, in the closet of a French restaurant.
And Chuck buried his face in her messy chestnut locks, like he had so long ago. “I love you with all my heart, Blair Waldorf.”
Blair let out a little sigh, and smiled. “I know, Chuck,” she said, keeping her eyes on his little red bow tie. “I know.”

No comments: